Android: Using Garmin maps in IMG format
Zooming the map
See how the Gravelmaps will show in your Android. The example walks through the zoom levels:
This post was updated by Steve B.
Steve was using the install instruction below to the current version of Orux (9.0.4) & found the path has changed a bit, as well as the URL for the manuals.Steve was so kind to provide his updates in a PDF:
This post exists thanks to Motorang, a Ténéristi from the Ténéré forum. Post: https://y.hs58.de/ivs8d
To display IMG maps on your Android device you may choose Locus or Oruxmaps. Oruxmaps is very powerful, but also a bit complicated to start with. Here is how you get the IMG loaded in Oruxmaps. For more info, refer to the english offline
manual here >
I recommend switching Oruxmaps to English language, as there is no German manual available, and using the english GUI matches most info in the manual and forums online … This is done via Global settings (three dots top right on the screen), then open Application and Select language.
- After Installation, open Oruxmaps.
- The standard offline map storage is set to the internal storage SD card, which is unfortunate. If you have an external micro SD card, you can reset the path as follows on Android devices running modern Android versions (Android 5
1) Tap the Hamburger menu symbol top left and select the wheel next to Maps for Map settings
2) In Map directory, tap the green path
3) Navigate to your external SD card, usually you start in root and open storage, then the SD card identifier eg 1E4F-63B6. Then open Android\data\com.orux.oruxmapsDonate and make a new folder there called mapfiles. Open that folder and tap OK. The full path displayed now reads eg/storage/1E4F-63B6/Android/data/com.orux.oruxmapsDonate/mapfiles
4) Do the same for DEM files directory, which can live inside the existing files folder:/storage/1E4F-63B6/Android/data/com.orux.oruxmapsDonate/files
- Copy the IMG files into the mapfiles folder
- Tap the hamburger menu, then the list symbol in Maps
- Tap the rotating arrows symbol on top of the page to make Oruxmaps update the folder contents
- On the OFFLINE tab, the img file should now show up as eg SouthEast (IMG)
- Tap the IMG you want to load
- To adjust some display settings for IMG maps, open the hamburger menu and select the wheel next to Maps for Map settings. Scroll down to Garmin maps settings to adjust font size, labels and background.
Installing the maps – enabling them
After you copied the maps according to the instructions above, here’s some visual support how to enable the maps.
Setting up the Garmin Maps in OruxMaps
In order to have a well arranged appearance of the map, adjustments have to be made.